Whilst here in Australia, we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving as a holiday, I thought it would be a good idea to think about ‘thyroid thanksgiving’ and gratitude in the context of our thyroid health, particularly given this podcast will launch on Thanksgiving 2021.
An article on the Harvard website defines gratitude as:
Gratitude is a thankful appreciation for what an individual receives, whether tangible or intangible.
And it goes on to highlight:
In positive psychology research, gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships.
So WHY be thankful in a thyroid health context?
- It’s easy to get caught up in the negative aspects of chronic illness
- Mindset matters
- It’s healing to be thankful.
- Important to stop and reflect.
- Makes you happier
- Connects you more positively to the people and world around you.
I’m thankful to my thyroid health for:
- Health – I’m healthier because I’ve had to be, and it hasn’t been easy but I feel better, am more proactive, preventive.
- It’s taught me to be curious.
- I’ve been able to use what I’ve learnt to help others, influence others health and wellbeing.
- This thyroid community
- Connecting with other thyroid experts around the world
How to be thankful
- Stop. Take a moment now and think about 1 thing to do with your health that you are thankful for.
- Keep a gratitude journal.
Reframing exercise to try.
This exercise helps you to transition a negative thought/statement into a gratitude statement and then into a positive affirmation.
Negative statement: I’m so sick of the brain fog!
Gratitude Statement: I’m grateful that brain fog is an alarm to remind me that something’s not right and that I can get help/cut out gluten/stop and rest/use my essential oils.
Positive Affirmation: My brain is clear and focussed.
Why not give this a go with a recurring negative thought you have about your thyroid health?
Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving as a holiday or not, take some time this week to reflect more on your thyroid thanksgiving!
IS IT TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE ACTION?
See your mindset THRIVE with Thyroid Love Notes. 22 unique affirmations.
Each affirmation is accompanied by messages of love & practical activities to take.
Change your mindset so you can THRIVE.
Affirmations written specifically for people like you and I with thyroid problems.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU