what are the protein needs of a thyroid patient?
In the thyroid health space we often talk about what NOT to get (eg gluten, grains, dairy, sugars) but in this episode I’m joined by Tara Thorne and we are focussing on what TO eat. In particular what are the protein needs of a thyroid patient?
We discuss the following topics/questions:
- Tara’s story of post partum thyroiditis and path to function health
- My experiment with reducing carb intake and tracking protein
- Why is protein important for women with thyroid issues?
- Metabolic health as we age and the priorities to age well.
- Are all sources of protein created equal?
- How much protein is it recommended to eat?
- How should that be distributed? (Hint first meal of the day is most important to get a good serve -30-50g of protein)
- Is snacking ok?
- Typical protein rich breakfasts?
- Rethinking breakfast.
- How to get extra protein if you’re struggling
- The importance of tracking protein intake for a week or 2.
- Lots of practical ideas for meals.
KISS THYROID COACHING QUESTIONS
- Consider tracking your protein intake (use a macro counting app like My Fitness Pal) for a week or 2 (even 3 days will give you a good idea.
- Share some of your protein rich meals in the Let’s Talk Thyroid Facebook Community.
Tara is a Functional Health Practitioner and a Certified Functional Nutrition Coach and a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. Tara also has training from the Institute for Functional Medicine, specifically in hormones and is an expert at interpreting the DUTCH comprehensive hormone test, the GI MAP test, the HTMA test and other functional health tests. Tara has more than 8 years clinical experience helping women around the world optimize their health and eliminate their symptoms.
Connect with Tara
- Insta: @tarathornehealth
related podcast episodes
If you enjoyed this episode and are looking for similar discussions, check out these episodes:
Escaping the diet trap with Karen Martel Ep 76
The DIY Underactive Thyroid guide Dr Sarah Myhill ep 84
Food glorious Food with Ginny Maher the Hypothyroid Chef ep 52
IS IT TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE ACTION?
Suspect you have a thyroid issue? PLEASE trust your instincts and get it thoroughly checked out with your health practitioner. This thyroid basics page has an overview of what tests to ask for and an affiliate link to use a private lab if your doctor won't order them.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU
Everything I know about living a thyroid-friendly lifestyle I've put into a book. Let's Tak Thyroid: Positive & Practical Thyroid Help
MY THYROID BOX
Luxury gift box for all thyroid patients, curated to help you feel loved, equipped & hopeful for your thyroid journey.
Listen to the podcast where I talk all things thyroid. It's a mix of my experiences, interviews with my community of thyroid people and experts sharing their wisdom for our benefit.