THE UNDERACTIVE THYROID DIY GUIDE
Dr Sarah Myhill
In this podcast, I talk with Dr Sarah Myhill about her new book, The Underactive Thyroid: Do It Yourself because your doctor won’t. We cover a range of topics and Dr Myhill talks with such depth of experience, having been a doctor since 1981.
In essence this book is the path to living well and to your full potential. You have to do it yourself because your doctor will not do it for you. Myhill, Sarah; Robinson, Craig. The Underactive Thyroid (p. 14). Hammersmith Books Limited. Kindle Edition.
- Getting the basics right – using the analogies of building a house and of fueling a car.
- Things have to be done in a specific, logical order – ie get the foundations (diet & gut) right first, then mitochondrial health then thyroid & adrenals last.
- Dr Myhill’s approach to diagnosis: All diagnosis is hypothesis and all diagnosis is retrospective.
- The importance of taking personal responsibility for your own health.
- Energy delivery mechanisms: body, brain and thyroid symptoms.
- Following a paleo-keto diet as the foundation stone.
- Low carb (not ZERO carb) and why it’s important for thyroid health.
- The 2 guts: upper gut (carnivore), lower gut (vegetarian)
- The problem with the upper gut fermenting on starches and sugars.
- Ketones – what they are and how best to measure.
- Management of thyroid hormones
- The circadian rhythm of thyroid hormones (TSH peaks at midnight, T4 at 4am, T3 at 5am and then adrenals at 6am)
- Recommended ranges (by Dr Myhill) for thyroid hormones
- Thyroid glandulars – what they are, the difference between therapeutic and food grade glandulars and where to source.
Changing one’s diet is the most difficult but the most important thing one needs to do for good health.
Myhill, Sarah; Robinson, Craig. The Underactive Thyroid (p. 193). Hammersmith Books Limited. Kindle Edition.
Dr Sarah Myhill
Dr Myhill qualified in medicine (with Honours) from Middlesex Hospital Medical School in 1981 and has since focused tirelessly on identifying and treating the underlying causes of health problems, especially the ‘diseases of civilisation’ with which we are beset in the West. She has worked in the NHS and private practice and for 17 years was the Hon Secretary of the British Society for Ecological Medicine, which focuses on the causes of disease and treating through diet, supplements and avoiding toxic stress. She helps to run and lecture at the Society’s training courses and also lectures regularly on organophosphate poisoning, the problems of silicone, and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Connect with Dr Myhill:
Purchase Dr Myhill’s Books
The Underactive Thyroid: Do it yourself because your doctor won’t.
Paleo-Ketogenic: The Why and the How
Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalitis, 2nd ed: It’s Mitochondria and Hypochondria.
related podcast episodes
If you enjoyed this episode and are looking for similar discussions, check out these episodes:
Cellular Hypothyroidism with Dr Eric Balcavage ep58
The Thyroid Debacle with Dr Eric Balcavage ep 71
IS IT TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE ACTION?
Suspect you have a thyroid issue? PLEASE trust your instincts and get it thoroughly checked out with your health practitioner. This thyroid basics page has an overview of what tests to ask for and an affiliate link to use a private lab if your doctor won't order them.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU
Everything I know about living a thyroid-friendly lifestyle I've put into a book. Let's Tak Thyroid: Positive & Practical Thyroid Help
MY THYROID BOX
Luxury gift box for all thyroid patients, curated to help you feel loved, equipped & hopeful for your thyroid journey.
Listen to the podcast where I talk all things thyroid. It's a mix of my experiences, interviews with my community of thyroid people and experts sharing their wisdom for our benefit.