HORMONES & THYROID HEALTH
WITH SOPHIE SHEPHERD
You know the thyroid produces thyroid hormones, but how do other key hormones interact with or impact thyroid health?
This is the focus of my conversation with Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner, Sophie Shepherd.
Sophie gives us an overview of the roles and impacts of the following hormones:
- Cortisol – the ‘stress hormone’ which may cause the thyroid to slow down because it’s trying to protect you from harm.
“You can’t skip the stress step”. Use mindset tools to get your body back to parasympathetic state.
- Insulin – important to keep your blood sugar levels stable. Unstable blood sugar places a stress on the body, leading to increased cortisol (remember everything is connected!).
- Estrogen – the Va-Va-Voom hormone!! Actually there are 15 types of estrogen. If your are hypothyroid you may not ovulate which can result in increased estrogen in the second half of your cycle (when progesterone should be high) and have painful periods. Sophie has a helpful graph in this article on her blog.
Your cycle is your monthly health report card!
Other key parts of this podcast are:
- Sophie shares her story of being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s, including her doctor telling her she was “making this too complicated” (um, thyroid health IS complicated) Medical gaslighting is rife in the thyroid health space.
- Birth control and its impact on hormones (it flatlines them) and may impact thyroid hormones negatively.
- Anxiety – how it can present and what you can do to help manage it.
- Gut/brain connection – have you heard of leaky gut/leaky brain
We end with Sophie’s practical solutions:
- Test don’t guess.
- Heal & seal the gut eg with glutamines, bone broth, some probiotics.
- Use mindset, EFT tapping and medication to help with stress. She mentioned an app called Nerva.
Meet Sophie Shepherd
Sophie Shepherd is a women’s period and gut health coach who’s mission is to revolutionize the way women claim their hormones as superpowers and slay old stories of being in sick bodies.
As a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner, Sophie helps educate and empower women around the globe to transform their hormones and gut health through a combination of root cause diagnostic testing, nutrition & lifestyle science so they can finally have straightforward answers to their most mystifying symptoms and get their lives back!
She is the CEO of SHE TALKS HEALTH, the creator of the SHE Health Experience and Producer of THE SHE TALKS HEALTH PODCAST.
Connect with Sophie:
IS IT TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE ACTION?
HOW I CAN HELP YOU